There will be situations where a loved one has care needs that cannot be safely met at home or provided by a family member. In these situations, you need an environment where the loved one is monitored 24/7 and assisted by licensed professionals, such as a nursing home.
What is Nursing Home Care?
A nursing home, also referred to as a Long-Term Care facility, is a facility that houses seniors, whose condition or illness makes it difficult to live independently. Nursing home have resources and staff in place to treat said medical conditions and provide round-the-clock care for their residents.
Nursing homes are able to provide different levels of privacy depending on the resources and needs of your loved one; from ward room, to semi-private to private rooms.
What kind of care do nursing homes provide?
Nursing homes provide a variety of care services to their residents, but the combination of services available depends on the capability of each facility. For example, one nursing home might provide care for cancer patients while another might not.
Here are just a few of the potential services available:
- Assistance with activities of daily living (ADL), such as eating, bathing, personal hygiene, toilet usage and hygiene, and dressing and undressing
- Assistance with functional mobility: moving from one area to another, including transitional movements like getting in and out of bed, chairs, or vehicles, and navigating stairs or obstacles
- Daily housekeeping and laundering services, which includes bedding and clothing
- Facility maintenance and upkeep
- Companionship and social interaction with friendly, trained staff and with other residents
- Recreational activities and facilities, group outings, and special events
- Round-the-clock nursing and critical care staff who are trained to treat and care for a variety of conditions, including dementia, diabetes, and other chronic illnesses
- Detailed care plans tailored to meet each nursing resident’s individual needs
- Prescription management and medication administration
- A full complement of fully trained and qualified medical staff
- Access to emergency services and equipment and training in their use and administration
- Rich educational and training resources in the care and treatment of a range of common illnesses and conditions
- GTA Senior Care Solutions can help you find facilities with registered dietitians on-site to assess and monitor your loved one's dietary requirements
- We help you coordinate personal nutrition plans with your chosen care facility
- Assistance in developing specialized diets for unique dietary needs or conditions such as diabetes, heart conditions, food allergies, and others
- Find facilities with full-service kitchens that prepare all meal and snacks on-site using fresh ingredients
- We recommend homes with a rotating menu of meals that offer residents a selection of delicious and nutritious options, in addition to the specialized and customized individual meals mentioned above
How much will nursing home care cost?
The Ministry of Health shoulders the costs of lifestyle care, healthcare, and nutrition, while nursing home residents are still responsible for paying accommodation costs.
Nursing home care rates vary depending on duration of stay and type of desired accommodation:
- Ward room accommodation
- Semi-private accommodation
- Private room
Prices are set by the government on a per-day basis and subject to annual reviews.
How do I qualify for nursing home care?
You can apply for admission to a nursing care facility through your local LHIN (Local Health Integration Network). This begins a multi-part assessment by a government representative, who will determine whether you qualify for admission to the program and what long-term nursing care options are available to you.
If approved, you will be able to apply to up to five preferred long-term nursing home care options. If a facility is full, you will be put on a waiting list. You will have up to 24 hours to confirm your placement when a spot opens up in a facility on your desired list.
The government will be able to provide financial assistance if you can’t afford a private room, although it does not provide assistance for those desiring private, semi-private, and Interim Care.
If you want to know more about the kind of care you or a loved one can expect to receive at a nursing home, then GTA Senior Care Solutions can help. We will answer all of your questions and help you with your nursing home care plan. Call now!